24 February, 2022

Unlocking your Inner Artist! - Erin Bevan

 

When I arrived in London over a month ago I didn’t know what to expect. Since this was my first time abroad and we are still in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic, I knew that I was in for an exciting and unexpected semester. One of my main goals for the semester was to go outside of my comfort zone and try new things. I knew that I wasn’t coming all the way across the Atlantic to have an ordinary semester. My mission was to see as many shows, art galleries, and museums as possible. So far I have seen 3 West End shows, 6 plays, been to 5 art galleries, and too many museums to count! But the most rewarding visit was my solo trip to the Victoria & Albert Museum.

After a morning working at the London Center, I decided I wanted to spend the afternoon sketching at one of the museums nearby. Firstly, I want to preface this by saying that I do not identify myself as being an artist. Besides the off-handed doodle in class, I’ve never thought I could draw. So going to a museum by myself to try and sketch was a big step for me on my journey of growth in London. Being in the prime location that it is, I was able to take a short walk from the London Center to the V&A. Once I got to the museum I looked around the sculpture garden until I found a quiet bench to sketch at. I felt quite odd being at the museum by myself and attempting to sketch the art but I quickly forgot about my apprehensions. I ended up getting lost in the lines and curves of the sculptures and spent almost an hour and a half sitting there drawing! It was a calm break from the busy atmosphere of city life. I was able to find a bit of peace that I didn’t realize I was needing. I had such a good experience that I ended up going back to the V&A that weekend to explore the museum and find more things to sketch.

Moral of the story: Don’t be afraid to try new things on your own, you might end up finding your own inner artist!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts