05 February, 2020

An Introduction to the London Experience by Alie Barrett


When I got accepted into the London Centre and finally came to the conclusion that I would be going abroad to London I was thrilled. I had been dreaming about going abroad since I was young and as one does I started to form expectations. I imagined London to be more city-like, yes with older buildings and more character but with taller ones too. Instead, I found it to be much smaller and quaint. Coming from Boston it felt like a giant Harvard Square. There were places with taller buildings and that felt more city like from an American perspective but overall, I have found that London is more about learning each borough and seeing the difference and culture within those rather than the anticipation of skyscrapers and giant TVs and a 24/7 culture. 
With this difference, I have noticed not only the character in the buildings but also in the shops and people. Even though I have only been in London for three weeks I have been to so many places and met so many amazing people. Some of my current favourites are Vinegar Yard, O’Neill’s, My Old Dutch, some of the smaller cafés in Southwark, and the international student house café. Yes, the international student house café is on that list. The modern design, great coffee, and free Wi-Fi make it a great place for any student to sit and study.
My list is constantly lengthening and my expectations are constantly being exceeded. Some more places on my list I have yet to visit are: The Breakfast Club in Spitalfields, Mercato Metropolitano in Newington, Pergola Paddington, Waterside Café in Little Venice, and Box Park, Barrio, and Old Street Records all in Shoreditch. While I value the major landmarks of London, such as Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, and the London Eye, I find more enjoyment in the smaller more local attractions, like cafés, pubs, and markets. Furthermore, I have found that even though it is not what I expected, London has something for everyone and is essentially the city of hidden gems.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts